Untitled (Virginia Square Metro Plaza)
Virginia Square Metro Plaza was created through the collaborative efforts of artists Tom Ashcraft and Y. David Chung, SmithGroup architects, and Stephenson & Good landscape architects. The team designed a modern piazza to include both functional and aesthetic components consisting of benches, planters, a fountain, a clock tower, and a commemorative medallion.
Formerly the site of a quiet neighborhood metro station, today this square is a colorful hub of activity. Interlocking concrete pavers unify the expansive, pedestrian-friendly plaza and mimic the curvature of the adjacent building. Adding to the curvilinear motif are flower-filled planters and a cylindrical fountain, both of which activate the plaza during warm weather. Pale-blue boat-shaped benches provide seating for commuters and allude to modes of transportation.
Four clocks mounted on a towering steel belfry tell the time while a cast bronze medallion, embedded in the pavement, recognizes the nearby Arlington Arts Center. Built in 1910 as a schoolhouse, the recently renovated center now supports the visual arts through exhibitions, studio space, and educational programs. The building is owned by Arlington County.
Funded by The Donohoe Companies.